Cherry Whoopie Pies
A creamy filling, laced with flecks of sweet red cherries, is sandwiched between two red-velvet chocolaty, soft and chewy cookies.
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
1 (18.25-ounce) package red velvet cake mix
3 large eggs
1/2 cup canola (or vegetable) oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- For Cookies: Cut 22 cherries in half (save remaining cherries for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Top each with a cherry half.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For Filling: Mix butter and cream cheese until smooth; fold in marshmallow cream; fold in cherries. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store n the refrigerator.
Makes 2 dozen sandwich cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Nationalcherries.com; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.