Chewy Caramel Oatmeal Cookies
A chewy oatmeal nut cookie with a soft caramel candy baked in the center.
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
3 dozen soft caramels
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine shortening, brown sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla in large bowl and beat at medium speed until creamy. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Stir in nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto baking sheet two inches apart and place a caramel in center - do not press down.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown around edges and caramel is completely melted. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in sealed container.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.