My Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is my version of the classic chocolate chip cookie. Both the toasted coconut and nuts enhance the overall flavor of the cookie and give it a scrumptious chewy-crunchy texture.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted and crushed
1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).*
- To toast the coconut and walnuts or pecans, spread each out onto a separate baking sheet. Toast in the preheated oven until they're golden, stirring each frequently. This takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Watch closely, as they will burn easily. Set aside to cool.
- In medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Set aside.
- Cream sugars, butter and peanut butter in a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until texture is fluffy and light in color, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; continue to beat an additional 3 minutes or until light and creamy textured.
- By hand, stir in flour mixture until just mixed; gently fold in the chocolate chips, toasted coconut and walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined or non-stick baking sheets, 2-inches apart. (If flatter cookies are preferred, dip the bottom of a dampened flat-bottomed glass into granulated or turbinado sugar and flatten dough slightly before baking.)
- Bake in the upper of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned, turning the baking sheet around halfway through the baking time to allow even baking of the cookies.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. Store in tightly sealed container.
Makes 5 dozen or 60 cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/60 of recipe): 116.3 calories; 49% calories from fat; 6.8g total fat; 15.2mg cholesterol; 71.1mg sodium; 32.7mg potassium; 13.7g carbohydrates; 0.7g fiber; 5.8g sugar; 13.0g net carbs; 1.4g protein.