Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
These deliciously festive chocolate-covered cherry cookies are wonderful anytime of the year.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, juice reserved
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mixing well. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture; blending well.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and place 2-inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Press down the center with your thumb. Place one maraschino cherry in the impression of each cookie.
- In a saucepan heat chocolate chips and condensed milk. Stir in maraschino cherry juice. Spoon about a teaspoon over each cookie, covering the cherry.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.