Chocolate Drop Thumbprints
No jelly here, this gem of a thumbprint cookie has chocolate-filled centers.
1 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
1 tablespoon hot water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in almond extract. Stir in flour and salt; mixing well.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Press thumb in center of each.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Combine the powdered sugar and cocoa in a small bowl. Add water and vanilla and mix well. Spoon chocolate mixture into "thumb print" of cooled cookies.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.