Light-as-air, cinnamon-scented chocolate
hazelnut meringue cookies.
1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
Line two baking sheets with parchment baking paper.
- Finely chop* 1/2 cup of the hazelnuts.
Coarsely chop the remaining 1 cup nuts.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg
whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a
time, beating constantly at high speed, and beat until the whites
are thick and glossy and the sugar is dissolved. Beat in the
cinnamon. Fold in the melted chocolate and the nuts.
- Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls
onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until the meringues
are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Makes 4 dozen.
*Use a food processor to achieve finely