Chocolate Macaroon Cookies
Chewy and moist, mint chocolate cookies with a sugary coating.
4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup light corn syrup
2 1/2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional sugar for rolling
- Melt chocolate squares in the top of a double boiler over simmering water; set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream the shortening and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and blend well. Add reserved chocolate, corn syrup, water, and extracts and blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in additional sugar and place about 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Cool a few minutes on baking sheet and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.