Chocolate Butter Pecans
This exotic butter cookie features the unique, yet ancient, South American flavor combination of chocolate and chili powder.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 2 teaspoons pure chili powder, to taste
1 cup (4 ounces) pecans, toasted and finely chopped
1 pound bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pecans halves for garnish
Sea salt (optional)
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg, salt and vanilla; blend until incorporated. Stir in flour and chili powder; blend well. Add chopped pecans; mix to combine.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until very light brown and crisp at the edges.
- Cool cookies on pan for two minutes or until set, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- For Chocolate Icing: Place chocolate, vanilla, chili powder and cinnamon in large microwave-safe dish. Microwave 30 seconds on high, stir and continue to microwave in 10 to 20-second intervals, stirring after each until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Using teaspoon, drizzle chocolate over cooled cookies; press a pecan half on top and sprinkle with sea salt (if desired).
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature, separating layers with parchment paper, for up to 1 week.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.