Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Recipe courtesy of the National Cherry Growers.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 large egg
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled
1/3 cup buttermilk, milk or water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour*(see below)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 (16-ounce) jars maraschino cherries, stemless or halves
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 tablespoons water
1 cup powdered sugar, plus more if needed
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For Chocolate Cookies: Chop cherries, reserving 50 halves for garnish. Mix sugar, margarine, egg, chocolate, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and cherries.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonful about 2 inches apart into ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched; cool. Frost with Chocolate Frosting or dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with cherry halves, if desired.
- For Frosting: Heat chocolate and margarine/butter over low heat until melted; remove from heat. Stir in water and powdered sugar until smooth.
Makes 54 cookies.
*Note: If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and salt.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Cherry Growers.