Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches
Irresistible chocolaty cookie sandwiches filled with creamy frosting.
4 squares semisweet chocolate squares
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated canola margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
- For Cookies: In microwave or heavy saucepan set over low heat, melt chocolate. Cool. In large bowl, combine sugar, canola oil, milk, vanilla, eggs and melted chocolate. Beat well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and add to chocolate mixture. Mix well. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten each ball with fingers.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Remove and cool on wire rack before filling.
- For Filling: In bowl, mix together cream cheese, canola margarine, vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat until mixture is smooth and well combined. Place filling in between two cookies.
Makes 12 sandwich cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 390; Fat 13g; Saturated Fat 4g; Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 150mg; Carbohydrates 66g; Fiber <1g; Protein 5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.