Chocolate Gingerbread Boys and Girls
A classic gets a chocolate twist in these chocolate gingerbread cookies. Fun to make and eat!
1 (12-ounce) package NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels - divided use
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
1 (16-ounce) container prepared vanilla frosting*, colored if desired
- Microwave 1 1/2 cups morsels in medium, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10 to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth; cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in small mixer bowl until creamy; beat in molasses and melted chocolate. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with water, beating until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Roll half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface with floured rolling pin. Cut dough into gingerbread boy and girl shapes using cookie cutters or a stencil. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are set but centers are still slightly soft. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place remaining morsels in heavy-duty plastic bag. Microwave on HIGH power for 30 to 45 seconds; knead. Microwave for 10 seconds; knead until smooth. Cut tiny corner from bag; squeeze to pipe chocolate. Decorate with piped frosting or icing.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
*Or colored icing in tubes
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.