Cocoa-Ancho Chile Cookies
Warm up the holidays with a batch of these flavorful cookies that double as one-of-a-kind gifts for those with a penchant for spice. The rich flavor of 100% cocoa complements the unexpected and unique kick of ancho chile, awakening taste buds to pure delight.
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
Finely grated peel from one lime
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and lime peel in shallow dish; stir well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, cinnamon, ancho chile powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; stir well.
- Beat butter and remaining ¾ cup sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg. Beat in flour mixture. Scoop dough by level tablespoon, then roll into balls. Place balls in shallow dish with sugar-lime mixture; swirl to coat. Place balls on ungreased baking sheet; flatten slightly.
- Bake for 6 to 9 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/30 of recipe): Calories: 80 Calories from Fat: 30 Total Fat: 3.5 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Cholesterol: 15 mg Sodium: 35 mg Carbohydrates: 11 g Dietary Fiber: .5 g Sugars: 6 g Protein: 1 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.