Coffee Can Gingerbread Cookies
Decorate these giant gingerbread cookies for the holidays or simply serve them plain with mugs of hot apple cider.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup water
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl, until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, molasses, water, ginger, nutmeg and baking soda until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll out dough on a lightly-floured surface, 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut out cookies with a 1-pound coffee can with both ends removed (file down any sharp edges).
- Decorate as desired, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Makes 1 dozen cookies.