Cranberry Hazelnut Biscotti
Toasted hazelnuts and dried cranberries combine to make delicious crisp biscotti cookies.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) hazelnuts or filberts, toasted, skins removed, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup (3 ounces) finely chopped dried cranberries
1 to 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
Sugar for sprinkling
- For Biscotti: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine 2 cups flour, hazelnuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and eggs in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed until thick and lemon-colored (2 to 3 minutes). Add vegetable oil, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla. Beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Reduce speed to low. Beat, gradually adding flour mixture, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Stir in dried cranberries by hand.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface (dough will be soft and sticky). Sprinkle lightly with 1 to 2 teaspoons flour; knead flour into dough. Shape into 2 (8x2-inch) logs with floured hands. Place 3 to 4 inches apart on greased cookie sheet; flatten tops slightly. Combine egg white and water in small bowl; brush over top of biscotti. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 23 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Let cool on cookie sheet, 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C).Cut logs diagonally into 1/2-inch slices with serrated knife; arrange slices, cut-side down, on cookie sheets. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown. Place on cooling racks; cool completely.
Makes 30 biscotti.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/30 of recipe): Calories: 70 Fat: 3 g Cholesterol: 10 mg Sodium: 40 mg Carbohydrates: 10 g Dietary Fiber: 0 g Protein: 1 g.