Crisp Coconut Sugar Cookies
Crisp, almond-scented coconut sugar cookies delectably drizzled with a creamy coconut icing.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
2 to 3 drops red food color
- For Cookies: Combine flour, coconut, baking powder and salt in food processor bowl. Cover; process until coconut is finely chopped (45 to 60 seconds).
- Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and almond extract; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate until firm (at least 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.
- For Icing: Combine powdered sugar and coconut extract in small bowl. Gradually add enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Spoon half of drizzle into another small bowl; stir in red food color. Drizzle cookies with both color drizzles, one at a time, in checkerboard design. Decorate with additional drizzle, if desired.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.