Tasteful and delightful sandwich cookies with a nutty date filling perfect for tea-time or anytime.
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups quick cooking oats
Date Nut Filling:
1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
1 cup water
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- For Cookies: Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in sour cream and vanilla. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats. Chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Divide dough in thirds. On well-floured surface, roll one third to 1/16-inch thickness. Cut with 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes or until crisp. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Just before serving, spread half of cookies with Date Nut Filling; top each with one cookie.
- For Date Nut Filling: In small saucepan, combine dates, water and sugar; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Cool; stir in nuts.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen sandwich cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.