Dipped Lemon Meringue Fingers
Light and delicate chocolate dipped, lemon-flavored meringue cookies. They make a wonderful afternoon treat served with a cup of hot, fragrant tea.
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
Yellow food coloring (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White and/or Dark Chocolate Morsels
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease and flour.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in small mixer bowl on high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Beating on high speed, gradually add sugar until whites are glossy and stiff peaks form. Beat in lemon peel, lemon extract and 2 to 3 drops of food coloring. Spoon meringue into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch star tip or gallon-size food storage bag with 1/2-inch snipped from corner of bag. Pipe meringue in 3-inch lengths, about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. You will have about 54 total.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating sheets between upper and lower oven racks halfway through baking. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Carefully remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Line two baking sheets with wax paper.
- Melt morsels and vegetable shortening in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 45 seconds; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10 to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
- Dip top of one end of each cookie into melted chocolate. Place on prepared baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature to set chocolate. Store in between layers in airtight container at room temperature.
Makes about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.
*Or substitute with 1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ Milk Chocolate Chunks or Morsels.
Note: Orange zest and extract can be substituted for the lemon zest and extract.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.