Double-Treat Walnut Cookies
Dry milk gives these orange-kissed, fruit and walnut cookies extra richness.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- Stir together flour, powdered milk, wheat germ, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream brown sugar, shortening and egg until fluffy; add orange juice concentrate. Stir in flour mixture, then add oatmeal, walnuts and raisins. Mix thoroughly.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 4-inches apart onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until cookie springs back when pressed lightly. Allow to cool slightly on baking sheet then transfer to rack to cool completely.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.