Double Chocolate Cherry Thumbprints
Maraschino cherries shine brightly in the center of these festive chocolate thumbprints topped with a contrasting drizzle of white chocolate.
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, cut in half and blotted dry
3 ounces white chocolate
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract; mix well. Add bittersweet chocolate and blend to combine. Add flour and cinnamon; mix until well blended. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press thumb in center of each cookie and place half a cherry in each depression.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place white chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds; stir and continue to microwave in 10-second increments until chocolate is smooth. Drizzle white chocolate across each cookie. chill 5 minutes to set white chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.