Double Ginger Shortbread Cookies
Two kinds of ginger give these cookies a distinctive bite and the black pepper adds a subtle zing!
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 teaspoon minced peeled gingerroot
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing well on low speed after each addition.
- Add crystallized and fresh ginger and mix on low until thoroughly mixed and a smooth dough forms.
- Form into a log 1 1/2-inches in diameter and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Remove dough from refrigerator. With a sharp knife, cut dough into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Place on cookie sheets and bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.