Eggnog Cookies with Rum Butter Icing
These iced cookies are made with the classic winter holiday beverage creating a festive, seasonal treat.
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
2/3 cup prepared eggnog
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons rum
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and first addition of butter until smooth and light. Beat in egg until well blended. Stir in eggnog.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, first addition of nutmeg and ginger in a medium bowl. Blend into creamed mixture until smooth. Using either a ¼-cup measure or a 2-ounce ice cream scoop, scoop level measures of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets, spaced 2½ inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are golden and firm to the touch, about 15 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. When cookies are completely cool, decorate with icing.
- To make the icing, melt remaining butter and combine with rum in a small mixing bowl. Stir in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, blending until smooth. Let sit for 15 minutes to thicken slightly. Spread icing on top of cooled cookies and garnish with remaining nutmeg.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies.