Excellent Peanut Butter Cookies with Variations
Fill your cookie jar up with these scrumptious peanut butter cookies and watch them disappear—fast!
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup smooth peanut butter*
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Cream sugars, shortening and margarine in a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until texture is fluffy and light in color. Add eggs, peanut butter and vanilla; continue to beat an additional 3 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and stir by hand until just mixed.
- Form heaping tablespoon-size balls and place 2-inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. With a fork dipped in flour, gently press a criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie.
- Bake on top shelf of oven for 10 to 12 minutes, turning sheet around halfway through baking time to ensure even browning. Transfer cookies immediately to wire cookie racks to cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
*Add 2 tablespoons for crunchy-style peanut butter.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies: Follow the basic recipe and stir in 1 cup semisweet, milk or white chocolate chips into batter. Bake as directed.
Peanut Butter Crackles: Follow basic recipe. Roll balls in sugar. do not flatten with fork. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a chocolate candy Kiss firmly into top of each cookie. The cookies will crack around the edges, thus the name.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe without variations): 132.8 calories; 45% calories from fat; 7.0g total fat; 13.9mg cholesterol; 89.3mg sodium; 62.8mg potassium; 15.7g carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 9.1g sugar; 15.2g net carbs; 2.4g protein.