Try your hand at making homemade Chinese fortune cookies. You can change the color of the cookies by adding a drop of food coloring with the liquid ingredients. Also, it is easier to handle hot cookies if you wear cotton gloves.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 2 to 3 drops of almond extract
3 tablespoons water
- Print or type fortunes on large sheet of paper, then cut them into 3/4-inch strips no more than 3 1/2-inches wide. Use ink that won't bleed or run if the paper gets a little oily.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Grease foil with butter, margarine or nonstick spray. Have a muffin tin handy.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add liquid ingredients and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Drop batter by level teaspoon (no more) onto prepared cookie sheet, no more than 6 to a sheet. Spread each evenly to 4-inch diameter.
- Set cookie sheet in the oven; bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown lightly.
- Remove from the oven and immediately remove 1 cookie with a broad spatula.
- Place a fortune in the center, fold in half and press back against ledge of counter or muffin pan to form fortune cookie shape.
- Set cookies in muffin tin to keep their shape until cool.
- Continue with the rest of the cookies, remembering they harden rapidly. If the cookies become too brittle to fold, return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes and try again.
- Repeat process with remaining batter.
Makes 20 fortune cookies.