Fred's Hazelnut Cookies
These delicate hazelnut cookies are always a hit around the holidays—or whenever you want a little something special.
4 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, skinned
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Cream together butter, sugar and hazelnuts in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine heavy cream, salt and egg whites; stir into nut mixture. Add flour to make a light batter.
- Take spoonful of batter at a time and place on baking sheet. Spread the batter with the back of the spoon into 4-inch rounds. Keeping the same thickness from center to edge.
- Sprinkle with finely ground toasted nuts. Bake until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.