Frosted Carrot Cookies
Moist and chewy carrot coconut cookies frosted with a zesty orange icing.Moist and chewy carrot coconut cookies frosted with a zesty orange icing.
4 large carrots, scraped and sliced
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon butter or margarine, melted
1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- For Cookies: Place sliced carrots in a medium saucepan; add water just to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain well and mash carrots; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, beating well; add reserved mashed carrots and vanilla and blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Fold in coconut until blended.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks. Spread frosting over warm cookies and allow to stand until frosting has set.
- For Frosting: Combine orange rind, orange juice, and butter in a medium mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Makes about 1/2 cup.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.