German Honey Cookies
Old-time German ginger cookies naturally sweetened with honey.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and honey over low heat. When melted remove from heat and cool.
- Beat together the egg, vanilla, baking soda and ginger. Slowly add to cooled honey mixture. Gradually stir in the flour until just mixed.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet 2-inches apart.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.