Old-fashioned, crinkle-topped ginger snaps.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light molasses
1 large egg
Sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium bowl combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream together shortening and sugar, add egg and beat until fluffy. Stir in molasses and mix well. Stir in flour mixture until just mixed
- Form tablespoonfuls of dough into round balls. Roll tops of balls in sugar. Place on a cookie sheet about 2-inches apart. (These cookies flatten as they bake.)
- Bake for exactly 9 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.