Gingerbread Cookies 1
Traditional, old-time gingerbread cut-out cookies for the winter holidays.
3/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring molasses, butter and brown sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir occasionally. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg.
- Beat egg into cooled molasses mixture. Stir molasses mixture into dry ingredient until a smooth dough is formed.
- Divide dough in half and wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove 1 dough ball from refrigerator. Roll into 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface. Cut into desired shapes.
- Place onto baking sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack and decorate as desired with icing, currants and assorted candies.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.