Golden State Dates
Old-fashioned California oatmeal date cookies get a make-over with the addition of chocolate chips and salted pistachios.
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 large egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick or old fashioned oats (uncooked)
3/4 cup dates, chopped
3/4 cup salted pistachios
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat together butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract; mix to combine.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in oats until combined. Add dates, pistachios and chocolate; mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in a shallow bowl containing 1 cup sugar. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool cookies on pan for one minute or until set; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.