This is a tasty mouthful of oats, nuts and dried fruits flavored with spices and moistened with yams.
1 1/2 cups granola
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup (4 ounces) yams or sweet potatoes, mashed
2 large egg whites, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grind granola in a blender or food processor for 2 minutes.
- Combine granola, flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a large bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine raisins, honey, yams, egg whites and vanilla. Mix until creamy.
Blend creamed mixture to flour mixture until combined. Makes about 60 cookies.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoon onto cookie sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly on cookie sheets; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.
Tip: 1 (16-ounce) can of pumpkin yields 2 cups.