Fun, holiday festive oatmeal cookies studded with colorful gumdrops.
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup gumdrops, halved
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat shortening and brown sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir into wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Gently stir in gumdrops and oats.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm on top and golden brown on the bottom.
- Let stand on cookie sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.