Old-time molasses spice cookies loaded with currants and nuts.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup molasses
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1/2 cup currants or raisins
1/3 cup chopped nuts
Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, egg whites, and egg; beat well.
Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until flour disappears. Fold in raisins and nuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Lightly sift powdered sugar over if you like.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.