Holiday Holly Berry Cookies
A beautifully decorated, cinnamon-scented holiday cookie with raspberry filling.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter (no substitutes)
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Green food coloring
- For Cookies: In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread jam on half of the cookies; top each with another cookie.
- For Glaze: In a small mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread over cookies.
- Decorate with red-hots before glaze is set. Let dry.
- Using a small new paintbrush and green food coloring, paint holly leaves on cookies.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.