Italian Lemon Cookies
Delightful lemon-scented cookies topped with a mouthwatering sweet-tart lemon icing.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon lemon extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease baking sheets; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together sugar and shortening. Stir in eggs and lemon extract; beat until fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For Lemon Icing: In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat powdered sugar with as much lemon juice as needed to make a spreadable frosting. Spread on cooled cookies.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.