Italian Lemon Cookies
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold
4 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
2 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 to 4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
- Mix flour and baking soda in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment at high speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes.
- Beat in sour cream, lemon juice and lemon peel. Add yolk mixture, 1/3 at a time, to flour mixture, stirring just until combined after each addition. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, 30 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Work with 1/4 of the dough at a time, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. Roll pieces of dough on lightly floured surface into 6 x 1/2-inch ropes. Shape as desired; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven until lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Makes 72 cookies.
- Shape this pliable dough into twists, knots, bows, wreaths or letters. Sprinkle with colored sugars or candy sprinkles before baking.
- Chilled dough is easier to handle and holds its shape better.
- Add lemon juice and peel according to personal taste. Remember to grate the peel before juicing the lemons.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/72 of recipe): Calories: 50; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 16mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 10mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.