Lemon Ginger Zingers
Zesty lemon-scented cookies laced with chopped cystallized ginger and topped with glistening, superfine sugar.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon lemon zest, freshly grated - divided use
1/2 cup superfine sugar*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add ginger, egg, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon zest; beat until combined. Gradually add flour mixture; mix well. Cover dough and chill 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining zest and superfine sugar; set aside.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons, 2 inches apart, onto parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Dip the bottom of a glass into the lemon sugar mixture and flatten dough; repeat for all cookies.
- Place remaining lemon sugar mixture in a sifter and sift additional sugar over each cookie.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes until edges begin to brown. Allow cookies to cool on sheet 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack; cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container with wax paper between layers for up to 1 week.
Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies.
*Purchased, or make your own by whirling granulated sugar in an electric blender until 'super fine'.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.