Lemon Sugar Cookies
These zesty lemon cookies just beg to be eaten warm out of the oven.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in egg, lemon zest and lemon extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, stir well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place chilled dough on floured surface and roll out to about 1/8-inch. Use cookie cutters to cut dough into desired shapes.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Let rest on baking sheet for 1 minute before moving to cooling racks. Decorate as desired.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.