Macaroons Topped with
Chocolate & Toasted Almonds
Deliciously easy coconut macaroon cookies topped with a simple chocolate icing and a sprinkling of toasted almonds.
1 (14-ounce) package flaked coconut (5 1/3 cups)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
Chopped almonds, toasted*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Foil-line and grease baking sheets.
- Combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract in large bowl.
- Drop by level tablespoon on prepared baking sheets; press each cookie lightly with back of spoon.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips and shortening in a glass 2-cup measure or small microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave on HIGH for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes; stirring after 1 minute. If necessary, microwave on HIGH an additional 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted. (Be careful, chocolate will burn if allowed to heat in the microwave too long.)
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped toasted almonds.
- Allow chocolate to set before storing loosely covered at room temperature.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
*Other toasted nuts, such as macadamias, pecans or walnuts, can be substituted.
Tip: To toast nuts, place in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10 to 15 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool. Or, place in skillet over medium heat and toast almonds, stirring constantly, until golden in color. Be careful not to burn nuts, keep a close watch.