Mae's Gingersnap Cookies
Mae's old fashioned, moist and chewy crinkle-topped gingersnap cookies.
2 cups granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling cookies
3/4 cup butter or shortening
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat sugar and shortening in a medium bowl until well combined. Add molasses and egg and continue beating until smooth.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Stir into creamed mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar until evenly coated. Place 2-inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.