Maraschino Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Who wouldn't love to receive a beautifully wrapped gift box filled with these delightful cookies?
2 (10-ounce) jars maraschino cherries
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 baking powder
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons milk
- Drain maraschino cherries, reserving 1 teaspoon juice. Combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Put butter and sugar in medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture; mix well.
- Put chocolate chips and milk in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, over low heat until chocolate melts. Stir in reserve maraschino cherry juice. Let cool slightly.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking pan. Push in centers with thumb; spoon 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture into each thumbprint and top with a cherry.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are firm. Remove to wire racks. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.