Meringue Sandwich Cookies
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans, almonds or walnuts
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- For Meringue Cookies: In a large mixing bowl, using electric mixer on HIGH, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in vanilla extract. Fold in chopped nuts.
- Drop meringue batter by rounded teaspoonful (about 1 to 1 1/4-inches in diameter) on a parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake at 250°F (120°C) for 1 hour Leave pan set in oven for another 30 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
- For Chocolate Filling: In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, cornstarch and confectioners sugar; beat with wire whisk to combine. Gradually, add skim milk, stirring to combine mixture. Cover; microwave on HIGH for 1 minute; stir. Cook 1 more minute; stir. Add chocolate chips; stir continually until chocolate is melted. Cool slightly (filling will be very thick).
- Spread 1 tablespoon of filling on the bottom of one meringue cookie. Gently place another cookie on top of the filling.
- Cookies are best if assembled shortly before serving. The filling will soften the meringue if prepared too far in advance.
Makes 32 sandwich cookies.
- You can store hard meringues for several months in a tightly sealed container with waxed paper between layers.
- If the meringue loses its crispness, reheat in a preheated 250°F (120°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/32 of recipe): Calories: 72; Total Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 26mg; Total Carbs: 10g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 12mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.