Mexican Almond Cookies
Also called Mexican Wedding Cakes, these rich and nutty, powdered sugar-coated cookies are similar to Russian tea cakes and Spanish polvorones.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup finely chopped* almonds
- Cream together butter, two-thirds of powdered sugar, vanilla and almond extract in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl sift flour and salt together. Blend into creamed mixture and stir in nuts. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until set, but not brown.
- Roll in remaining powdered sugar while still warm. Roll once more after cooled.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
*Use a food processor or blender to finely chop nuts until almost ground, but not quite.