Delightful coconut sandwich cookies filled with a dual filling of red raspberry preserves and vanilla frosting.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened - divided use
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1/2 cup seedless red raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream 3/4 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla and blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Fold in coconut until blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Press with a fork dipped in flour to flatten, creating a crisscross pattern.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat remaining 1/4 cup butter, powdered sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and milk at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy.
- Spread 1 teaspoon frosting mixture on flat side of half of the cookies. Spread 1 teaspoon raspberry preserves on flat side of remaining cookies. Place frosting-topped cookies on top of preserve-topped cookies to form sandwiches.
Makes 20 sandwich cookies.