Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
A creamy powdered sugar frosting is squeezed between two chocolate wafers for a homemade treat. They're easier to make than you think and simply wonderful.
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons water
1 (12-ounce) package or 2 cups NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Cookies: Combine brown sugar, 3/4 cup butter and water in large, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until butter is melted. Add morsels; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on baking sheets for 1 minute; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For Filling: Beat powdered sugar, 1/3 cup butter and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Add milk until smooth and of desired spreading consistency.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons filling onto flat-side of 1 cookie; top with second cookie, flat-side down. Squeeze together gently. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Makes 4 dozen sandwich cookies.
For Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies: Substitute 1/8 teaspoon peppermint or mint extract for vanilla extract in filling.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): Calories: 160 Calories from Fat: 60 Total Fat: 6 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol: 20 mg Sodium: 115 mg Carbohydrates: 25 g Dietary Fiber: .5 g Sugars: 17 g Protein: 2 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.