Nutmeg-Laced Sugar Cookies
If you like nutmeg, you'll love these delicate sugar cookies with their strong nutmeg flavor. A drizzle of chocolate adds a finishing touch.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Sift together flour, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, blend sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, egg, lemon peel and vanilla; mix until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add dry ingredients until completely incorporated. Remove dough from mixer, divide in half and wrap each half in plastic; chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove dough (one at a time) from refrigerator and unwrap. On a floured surface, roll out to 1/8-inch thick. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges turn pale golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and place on a rack to cool.
- In a microwave, heat chocolate on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Heat an additional 30 seconds; stir again until smooth. Using the tip of a fork, drizzle chocolate on each cookie. Allow chocolate to harden before serving.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.