A classic refrigerator cookie recipe, the dough must be refrigerated several hours prior to baking these thin, crispy oatmeal cookies.
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mixing well. Stir in oat/flour mixture until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide the dough into three equal portions and roll into logs using
plastic wrap, approximately 1 1/2-inch in diameter. Chill for several hours or overnight. (Dough can be frozen and baked at a later date.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut logs into 1/4-inch thick slices. Bake on parchment-lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies.