Oatmeal and Chocolate Chips Cookies
Applesauce adds moisture and makes these wholesome oatmeal chocolate chip cookies a low-fat choice in treats.
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the sugar and butter in a large bowl and cream together. Add the applesauce, egg and vanilla and beat well to incorporate; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add, a bit at a time, to the butter mixture, beating to combine after each addition. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand on the sheet for about a minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.