Oatmeal Gingerbread Cookies
Festive gingerbread oat cookie cut-outs for the holidays. A great gift idea!
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Quaker® Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Add combined flour, oats, spices, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover; chill about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- On floured surface, roll dough out about 1/4 inch thick for a chewy cookie or 1/8 inch thick for a crisp cookie. Cut with 5-inch gingerbread man or woman cookie cutter. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Frost and decorate cookies with candies. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
Makes 20 (5-inch) cookies.
For Gift Giving: Create cookie ornaments by cutting a hole near top of cookie with drinking straw before baking. Repeat immediately after baking if hole closes. Cool and decorate. Thread narrow ribbon through hole at top and tie into a bow.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 cookie, undecorated): Calories 240, Calories From Fat 90, Total Fat 10g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 130mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 4g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oat Company.