Old-Fashioned Cracked Sugar Cookies
Your whole family will love these chewy, old-fashioned crackle-topped sugar cookies.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream together shortening, 1 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy; add egg and vanilla and blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 2-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.