Orange Almond Wedding Cakes
Exquisite, delicate orange-scented tea cakes with a lovely drizzle of orange icing.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon grated orange zest, or 1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup (5 ounces) almonds, toasted then finely chopped
Additional powdered sugar (optional)
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons orange juice or Grand Marnier
Dash of orange food coloring (optional)
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Center baking racks in the middle of the oven. Line baking sheets with parchment baking paper or lightly grease with shortening or a non-stick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed, cream the butter and powdered sugar together until pale in color. Add the orange zest or extract, vanilla and almond extract. Gradually beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Stir in the chopped almonds.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place the balls 2-inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or very lightly browned. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then carefully transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Roll cookies generously in additional sifted powdered sugar or top with a drizzle of orange icing.
- For Orange Icing: In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients together. If the icing seems too thick, add a few drops more of orange juice. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the icing (to prevent a crust from forming). This icing can be made several hours ahead.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.